What is a Gummy Smile?
A “gummy smile” is when a large portion of the gum is shown when a person smiles. Even though a gummy smile is a normal variation of the human anatomy and completely harmless (as stated by health professionals), it can be a rather embarrassing feature to have, knocking self-confidence and happiness.
What causes a gummy smile?
There are a few main causes that can lead to a gummy smile:
- If you were born with a short upper lip, more of your gum will show when you smile
- An abnormal eruption from your teeth can cause gum tissue to appear more visibly lower
- During the early years when a child’s jaw bone is developing (Braces can sometimes be used to ensure that a child does not develop a gummy smiles – as well as straighten their teeth)
What treatments are available for a gummy smile?
There are a few treatments that can be used to treat a gummy smile. However, not all of them will be suitable for all patients, and we advise that you arrange a free consultation to discuss all the available and suitable options with our friendly cosmetic dentist.
- Laser gum reshaping – Our highly trained cosmetic dentist will use a laser to reshape and cut away excess gum, giving you a natural looking smile. This is the preferred treatment as the laser will also help to seal up the cut, meaning there will be less bleeding
- Braces – This option will be more effective the younger the patient as the braces will manage the bone development, reducing the overbite and the chance of a gummy smile appearing
- Wrinkle removal injections – By injecting wrinkle removal into the upper lip the muscles will weaken and will result in the lip lowering to cover the excessive gum