What are Retainers?
Retainers are used after you have had your teeth straightened to ensure that they remain in their new straight position. Retainers (not Vivera) are included in all of our orthodontic treatment plans free of charge.
Which Retainers Are Available?
- Bonded Retainer (recommended)
- Removable Retainer
- Vivera Retainers (additional charges apply)
What Are Bonded Retainers?
A bonded retainer is fixed/bonded to your teeth and is not removable. It is fixed to the backs of your teeth so it is completely discrete. As bonded retainers are a permanent fixture, the patients’ teeth will stay in their new positions and will not be able to move back to where they were before. Bonded retainers do not require any special looking after, they are very easy to clean. You will simply need to brush your teeth as normal to make sure they stay clean.
- Minimum Pain
- Easy to clean
- It is fixed so you can’t forget to put it back in
- Can only use Oral B super floss
- The patient has to carry on attending check-ups to make sure that the retainer is still fully functional
Removable retainers can easily be taken out by the patient. The removable retainer function in the same way as bonded retainers but they are not as discrete. We recommend that you wear your retainer for 20-22 hours a day, and that you only take it out to eat, drink and brush your teeth.
- Easy to clean
- The patient has to remove the retainer to eat and drink
- The Patient has to remember to put retainer back in after eating or teeth will begin to shift back into their original positions
- Other people can see the retainer