What is a Gummy Smile?
A “gummy smile” is when a large portion of the gum is shown when a person smiles. Even though a gummy smile is a normal variation of the human anatomy and completely harmless (as stated by health professionals), it can be a rather embarrassing feature to have, knocking self-confidence and happiness!
What causes a gummy smile?
There are a few main causes that can lead to a gummy smile:
- If you were born with a short upper lip, more of your gum will show when you smile
- An abnormal eruption from your teeth can cause gum tissue to appear more visibly lower
- During the early years when a child’s jaw bone is developing (Braces can sometimes be used to ensure that a child does not develop a gummy smiles – as well as straighten their teeth)
What treatments are available for a gummy smile?
There are a few treatments that can be used to treat a gummy smile. However, not all of them will be suitable for all patients, and we advise that you arrange a free consultation to discuss all the available and suitable options with our friendly cosmetic dentist.
- Laser gum reshaping – Our highly trained cosmetic dentist will use a laser to reshape and cut away excess gum, giving you a natural looking smile. This is the preferred treatment as the laser will also help to seal up the cut, meaning there will be less bleeding
- Braces - This option will be more effective the younger the patient as the braces will manage the bone development, reducing the overbite and the chance of a gummy smile appearing
- Wrinkle removal injections – By injecting wrinkle removal into the upper lip the muscles will weaken and will result in the lip lowering to cover the excessive gum
Free Gummy Smile Consultation
You no longer need to be self-concious about your gummy smile. Call us today and arrange your free consultation.