What is Snoring?
Snoring is the noise that is caused by the soft tissue in the upper airway. When you are sleeping your muscles in the upper airway will relax which will cause bottle necks and obstructions in the airways. When this happens the body will react by increasing the velocity of the air which then generates the vibrations of the soft tissue, thus generating the noise of snoring.
Who is likely to Snore?
Research that has been carried out shows that approximately 40% of the adult population will snore at some stage of their life. As you age, the chances of snoring will increase – For example – 60 year old men has a 60% chance of snoring. If a person drinks alcohol and is classed as overweight, the chances of snoring will also be increased.
What is Obstructive Sleep Apnoea?
Obstructive sleep Apnoea is a medical condition that causes the sufferer to gasp for breath while they are sleeping. This condition also has the the additional symptoms of the feeling of not having a full nights sleep and daytime drowsiness.
Not everyone that snores suffers from Sleep Apnoea but nearly everyone who suffers from Sleep Apnoea will snore.
What help is available?
If you are suffering from snoring, an oral appliance can be made by the dentist for you to wear at night. The oral appliance consists of two thin plastic formings for both the upper and lower teeth. The plastic formings are joined together by two connectors that will gently hold the lower jaw in a forward position (any opening of the mouth will cause the lower jaw to be pulled further forward)
Can anyone use this appliance?
Unfortunately if you only have a few remaining natural teeth or none at all, the appliance cannot be made for you. Your dentist will be able to advise you on the best course of action for your situation.
What happens next?
You will need to fill out a questionnaire (preferably with you partner if available) and then the dentist will take molds of the lower and upper arches. The oral appliance will be custom made to fit your mouth exactly. Once the custom oral appliance has returned from the lab you will initially need to wear them each night for a week to see if the snoring has been eliminated. If there is still some snoring you will need to return to the dentist for an adjustment.
The oral appliance isn’t guaranteed to work for everyone. Statistics have shown that in 62% of patients, snoring has been completely eliminated. The remaining people have either seen a reduced noise or it has not worked at all.
What maintenance does the appliance require?
The oral appliance will require regular maintenance but the time between each maintenance visit will vary from patient to patient (e.g. If you grind your teeth at night the life of the appliance will be reduced significantly etc)
Does the anti-snoring appliance come with a warranty?
Some appliances will come with an initial 6 month servicing and repair warranty, but you will need to consult with your dentist at the free consultation.
If you have any more questions you would like to ask, please contact us.